January 29, 2011

Alison Scarpulla - The Skull series

What can I say except that Alison Scarpulla is a great artist? I don't see much to add. The world she creates with photography is simply full of magic, mystery, bringing back the special relation we have, as children, with death, a sort of distant friend we would like to meet. And with age, this friendship's here again, and this apparently childish imagery becomes relevant again, like if adulthood was only brackets in our existence. This skull series is only a small part of the talent of this English photograph (see more of her here or there). Finally, my present opinion is that painting fails to reach this in-depth quality. From me, it's quite unexpected since I've been a painting lover for the last 40 years (discovered Corot and Rembrandt when I was 12, never stopped to explore this art since). But artist like Alison Scarpulla make me doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment