June 23, 2012

Bruce Davidson - Welsh Miners, East 100th Street, The Dwarf and more

After watching these stunning pictures, you certainly don't need me to know that Bruce Davidson, born in 1933, is a master of photography. He gave Magnum agency some of its greatest images. Here, I gathered several high definition shots I could find on the net. Some are really among my favorite pictures, any period, any style, any author. Those with children in particular. Usually, I'm not totally at ease with making an artistic image from people misery, doing poetry with poverty. But here, it's much more than that. It's human condition in a given social context that Davidson gives us to see. The way we all cope with the environment we must deal with, and how we try to find our happiness in it, although sadness always prevails, is, for me, the underlying message of these pictures. And the way he uses the various possibilities of compositions to respect his models is a reference. Most of the pictures above were taken during the sixties. His most notorious project was about the Brooklyn gangs and the Civil Right Movements but my faves are those I posted above. A biography here.

1 comment: