October 10, 2012

Charles Gatewood - America

There's a Edward Hopper retrospective beginning today in Paris. I appreciate Hopper's painting (it's not talking much to the depressive French I am but a little bit, surely the depressive side of it, and I agree he's a great artist) but it's boring to listen these days everyone saying this painting represents the legendary America. I think America, for my generation, is mainly shown in its legendary aspect in the Charles Gatewood pictures shot in the seventies. An opportunity to post some of them I found in enough high quality, but there are many others. Books can be bought to see them. He's still alive (born in 1942) and never stopped to photograph all sort of non conventional bodies and situations. He will be remembered for sure. A site here (love the name of this site: No!art).

No comments:

Post a Comment