June 15, 2013

Julia Fullerton-Batten - Unadorned

This German photographer met success with very spectacular series using photo manipulations, not my fave way to approach this media, but I must recognize she always proposes something that avoids the usual emptiness of all these modern artists who find a so-called impressive, fantastic, unique, never-seen way to create visual effets ("so what?" I often think looking at their technical "tour-de-force" or sometimes only good ideas that turn into gimmicks). Here, she's much more naturalistic in her way to treat her subject. It consists in an aesthetic and valorising view of unusual models. Here what she says about it: "Here I was inspired by paintings of old masters from the 15th to 17th Century (Titian to Rubens). Over a period of three centuries, these masters showed that female beauty of that time was represented by curvaceous bodies and in Rubens’ case by outright corpulence. It is only in very recent times, since Twiggy and Barbie came to the fore in the 1960s, that our narcissistic society reinforced by the media and advertising now interprets the ideal figure to be ultra-thin. I guess in my work I am making social observations as well as fine-art". I'm not sure she doesn't oversimplify the history of beauty canons (actually I know a little bit the subject). Moreover, the result a little bit too much inspired by the stunning and extraordinary series by Jeff Bark (he got 4 posts on Scoptophilia, but I'm talking more specifically of this one). But, besides these critics, the series is good enough to deserve respect and be welcomed as a great piece of photo-art. Fullerton-Batten site here.


  1. Absolutely beautiful. Interesting and thought provoking images - the essence of art.