June 22, 2014

Sookie Sirene - Various self-portraits

Among the thousands of people sacrifying to self-portraits, I sometimes, but rarely find something targeting my own obsessions and providing a strong visual equivalent to them. It is the case of Sookie Sirene, a photographer living in Oslo and using her own body and face as the subject of her work (at least for what I found about her, which is not much). It is a scenography of the most important human inner torments (anguish, fear, despair, self-destruction, seduction, sadness, boredom, pleasure) and once again, a woman did it, men being apparently not able to explore and use the deepest of their soul with the crudity and the lucidity of their female counterparts. Or maybe they (we) do not have this richness and strength in them (us). A historical heritage of centuries of male domination being now a terrible weakness in art. Sookie Sirene leaves a longing trace in our brain and finally, a sensation of a close intimity with her, these images destroying the usual distance photography puts between the viewed and the viewer. No site for this artist, her site here and her facebook page here.


  1. Greetings from México. I hope you continue updating this page because it´s a great collection of hidden aspects of human nature and each new upload is a surprise.

  2. Yes. I was a little bit disturbed cos' I moved house and did not have internet (I still don't have it really but I found a temporary solution) but now I will update it with new stuff. The first one yesterday.
    Thx for your interest.