August 25, 2015

Lauren E. Simonutti - Various works

Lauren Simonutti was born in 1968 and died in 2012, at 44. More than giving the name of the mental illness she was suffering from, I prefer to publish her words: "Over (five) years I have spent alone amidst these 8 rooms, 7 mirrors, 6 clocks, 2 minds and 199 panes of glass. And this is what I saw here. This is what I learned. I figure it could go one of two ways - I will either capture my ascension from madness to as much a level of sanity for which one of my composition could hope, or I will leave a document of it all, in the case that I should lose". It seems she lost but we all lose after all, and the important is what she left, and what she left is a vast series of images, stunningly strong and moving. Echoing Francesca Woodman, this body of work would deserve to be considered as a major photographic work. There are several links of interest, eg. her blogspot blog here, her deviantArt page here and her flickr blog there

No comments:

Post a Comment