March 21, 2016

Liad Hussein Kantorowicz - Liadland

This is not often that I do it but for this post I will do it: restrained my comment to the bio of the artist. Everything I could add would meaningless. This is the kind of artist for whom I have a total respect and admiration. They are the milestones to which everyone who says he's an artist or a creator should be compared.

"The question of what came first – my political consciousness or my performance in public space – has always been contested. I was born in Israel-Palestine but fled at a young age to the U.S. with my parents in their attempt to escape Israeli military service, war and political persecution. I returned to Israel-Palestine as an adult and lived there for a decisive decade of my life, during which I engulfed myself in political activism. I took part in forming the largest Israeli-Palestinian popular resistance group in the post-Second-Intifada period Anarchists Against the Wall, as well as the first queer community in the Middle East. I also became the first outed sex worker to fight for the rights of sex workers and coined the term ‘sex work’ in Hebrew. In the midst of all of that, I started performing, curating and coordinating performances and performative actions that were deeply rooted and connected to my political reality".

You can read the rest of the bio here.

Some videos of her performances below.

if i can't sell it from liadland on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment