December 7, 2016

Slava Mogutin - Lost boys and No love


































His CV says "1974 Born in Kemerovo, Siberia, Russia. 1995 Exiled from Russia and granted political asylum in the US, moved to New York City. 2004 Together with Brian Kenny formed SUPERM, a collaborative multimedia art team. 2011 Became a US citizen".  You have a much more extensive bio here. He worked as an actor for a Bruce LaBruce's film and wrote an apparently quite large amount of litterature, but here what the post is about is his photographic work where he shows marginal gay youth either in Russia or in New York City. Most of the cliches were shot between 2000 and 2004. The images are crude and sometimes may seem to lack any quality that we are expecting from an artistic work (although I often don't really care about this point). Actually, I don't really know whether I like it or not. The mythology this visual universe celebrates is rather sordid and carries a fascist imagery I find stinky. Not my habit to publish work I do not adhere to. But here, I do. Up to you to decide whether you agree or not. Impossible to deny there is an inherent strength in these images, mostly due to the models more than to the photographer. His site here

No comments:

Post a Comment